We are pleased to announce the launch of NC Encrypt to provide independent encryption key management and Bring Your Own Key (BYOK) support for Microsoft 365 applications and SharePoint Server environments.
The sheer number of communication and collaboration channels the M365 platform has introduced, increases the vulnerability of sensitive data and potential for accidental data loss or overexposure, making protection mechanisms such as encryption critical. The ability to support BYOK is critical with 69% of companies voicing that key management is one of the most important features in an encryption solution, according to the 2021 Global Encryption Trends Study by Ponemon.
To address this, NC Encrypt now gives customers the flexibility to encrypt their Microsoft application data and manage their encryption keys or use existing third party key management solutions to meet their security needs and compliance policies.
The New NC Protect Module Provides Flexible Options to Manage Encryption & Key Management in Microsoft Applications
While dynamic classification and access control are NC Protect’s first line of defense, when paired with Azure RMS or NC Encrypt, if a document that contains sensitive information is identified that requires encryption, it can encrypt the content immediately – limiting the audience to only credentialed users.
Out of the box, NC Protect enables dynamic encryption and adds additional protection capabilities to the standard Microsoft Purview Information Protection (MPIP) and RMS encryption capabilities included in customers’ Microsoft stack to safeguard sensitive data. For organizations using NC Protect that do not have RMS, require independent key management, or want to leverage third party key management tools to encrypt Microsoft application content, the new NC Encrypt module provides independent encryption capabilities and BYOK support.
Key features of the new NC Encrypt module include:
- File and SharePoint column encryption – NC Encrypt can be used to encrypt individual files in supported applications at rest and SharePoint columns to ensure the same protections and restrictions are applied to multiple forms of content for consistent security.
- Strong Encryption – NC Encrypt uses secure AES-256 bit encryption that is
FIPS 140-2 compatible.
- BYOK Support – Customers can use NC Encrypt’s dynamically generated keys or supply and manage their own encryption keys (BYOK).
- Enhanced Encryption – Provides connectors to third party key management platforms so customers can easily leverage existing encryption investments.
- Centralized policy management – Centrally manages both access and encryption policies across all M365 apps, SharePoint Online, SharePoint Server and/or hybrid environments from a single application to streamline policy management.
- Reporting and Auditing – Real-time activity logging and reporting tracks permitted and denied access requests, and actions taken with authorized files for auditing and compliance purposes.
Discover how to leverage NC Encrypt for encryption and key management paired with dynamic access and security to proactively protect sensitive information in Microsoft 365, SharePoint Server and File Shares.